7.23.2008

Parenting

I've been home the last couple days, sick with an ear and sinus infection. Perfect condition for absorbing mindless, daytime television. Also makes me realize why I am still not a fan of watching TV. Today's beef: Parenting in America.

While watching the tube, I came to the realization that there is not ONE single decent parent being shown on air. None. First stop, Rachael Ray's talk show:

Scenario: Mom is upset because her two-year old son would rather be with his dad and wants nothing to do with the mother. At first I felt kind of bad, then the mother opened her mouth. Here are her complaints:
• I gave up my job to take care of my son and he [the 2 year old son] doesn't appreciate that.
• I HATE being outdoors and I will take him [again, the 2 year old] to the park ALL day because he's the boy. (There was some obvious resentment in her tone)
• I read him my favorite books and he [again the 2 year old] doesn't like them.
SERIOUSLY???? He's TWO YEARS OLD! How selfish. No wonder the kid doesn't want to be around her. And the worst part is everyone was all pity-party for her. Oy. 

After a 4 hour nap, I woke up to watch wife-swap. Oh boy. That was a good watch. The one mother, a down-home Kentucky woman who was a sweetheart and a half, lets herself get walked all over by her daughters and asshole husband. She waits on the family hand and foot and gets no respect, yet she never puts her foot down. And then the other mother (this family was the best!) is a high-power exec., running a ghost-hunting business. And her husband is a Shaman. Seriously. Needless to say, it was a great show. Both mothers sucked. And the kids were all a bunch of brats. It was literally the worst of both extremes. One mother too sweet, the other too cold. 

Right now it's Super Nanny. This show just burns me up. What's with parents these days? Why is there NO discipline?? It seems parents are more concerned being a "friend" and not a parent. It's pitiful. They let their toddlers walk all over them and give in to every tantrum. Sigh. At any rate, these shows give me hope that if I ever find myself in a relationship, ever get married, and at some point bear children, I think I'd do a pretty good job. At least compared to what I'm seeing in the media. 

Come on America. Wake up and smell the Pampers. These kids are our future! As corny as it sounds, it's true. Scary thought: these over-spoiled, under-challenged, irresponsible hellions will be controlling our nation. I'd say that's worthy of a nightmare or two!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have no doubt that I would be a better parent than some of the people I see around. It's disgusting how some parents don't even mind that their bad ass kids are annoying everyone else. They are more worried about being friendly and avoiding conflict at any cost. These kids are in for a rude awakening when they finally leave the home around age 28 or so.