7.31.2010

Hot Air

I sat outside today in 90-some degree, muggy, post-rainfall, mosquito-laden weather with friends who are shooting for a 48 hour film festival. I was surprisingly not uncomfortable. My blood is turning more and more southern, but my heart, my heart is aching for colder weather. I want fall dammit. The first summer living in Tennessee was about this hot, for not quite as long, and it stayed hot through October. Not until October, but through it. I literally pray that is not the case this year, but am too leery to get my hopes up. The letdown would be too much.

On that note, I am itchy for the mountains. I know the weather is not something I can change and don't plan on moving back north anytime soon, if ever. I figure it's best to adopt the "can't beat 'em, join 'em" attitude. If I can't fight the heat, I might as well beat it and head to the mountains. I am tired of my AC's face and am jonesing for some shade, creeks, thinner air, and the smell of earth. Next Saturday, I will be in the mountains. Whether it be the Cumberland, Big South Fork or the Smokies. Come hell or high water, I will be booted, bug-sprayed, clif-bar-stocked and smiling from ear to ear in the middle of the woods in the middle of nowhere.



p.s. I think I'm jumping back on the regular blogging bandwagon. Time will tell, but I miss writing more than what will fit in a Facebook or Twitter update. Even if it is only about the mundane goings-on of my day to day. Expect cat pictures.

No comments: