4.05.2007

Prepare for Landing..

This post is coming to from Terminal C at the airport in Cincinatti, OH. Have some layover time to kill so I thought I'd post.

***WARNING*** This post contains mild ranting and a smathering of complaints. Plus a dash of rambling. Just so you know.

Anyway. I hate flying. I always thought I liked it, but after 4 flights in 4 months, I've come to the realization that no, I really don't enjoy it, for a myriad of reasons. First, lack of control. I hate that I'm not in control. When I drive I never use cruise control so I ALWAYS know how fast or slow I'm going, I can stop whenever I want, listen to music whenever I want, pack what I want call people or not. I love it. Flying, not so much.

I don't like that someone else is behind the wheel, someone I don't know. I fear human error, which is always a possibility. People make mistakes, it happens. If I make a mistake, in a car, well then it's my fault I was in control. With flying, I don't know, what if the pilot had a hard night of fun? what if he hasn't slept in 4 days due to a hectic flight schdule? What if he is harboring some deep-seeded depression? You never know. People are known to be crazy.

Meh. And another thing I don't like about flying are the people. Just so many of them. I inevitably I always get stuck next the crazy Debby-Downer guy, or the guy who reeks of booze and cologne or the lady who wants to chat the whole time when all I want to do is read my book (which is the one nice bonus of flying is that I can usually get 1.5 to 2 books read or half of a really long novel). Screaming babies, airsick children.. I'm just not that much of a people person. I like the privacy of my car. The ability to crank the music, belt out random songs, no offending odors or unwarranted conversation. It's nice.

Plus, I REALLY hate landing. It's just too hard and too fast which brings me back to the whole lack of control issue.

I mean, don't get me wrong, flying's OK. It's a bit faster than driving and in some cases more cost effective. I get a lot of reading done, a lot of thinking. But overall, I'd rather be behind the wheel with my windows down and some good rock music playing. Just me, myself, and the open road.

ANYWAY. Sorry for the vent. Just my observations and personal preferences.

I'm not crabby, just antsy to get home. Tonight the whole fam's getting together for dinner (which is ALWAYS a fun time). This weekend's got me pumped. I'm so excited to see some friends and my family. I miss 'em all!

Happy Easter (or insert holiday of choice)! Safety and good times to all!

1 comment:

HEATHER said...

hey taylor next time i catch you on aim i'll send you my new blog address. hope tennessee's treating you well!!