9.17.2008

Fallify Me

diamonds and tear drops - this is a love letter from the bordello of your imagination. - Yard Dogs Road Show
In a fantastic effort to kick off the 2008 Fall season, Mother Nature has blessed us with some seriously gorgeous weather. This week has been in the 60s and 70s with crystal blue skies. It makes my heart melt and soar all at the same time. I walked to work yesterday and just soaked it up and this weekend I'll be out in Soddy Daisy, TN, doing some trail and bridge building on the Cumberland Plateau. I honestly can't wait!

And to top off all of this Autumnal Excitement, I went to see the Yard Dogs Road Show last night. If these folks caravan to your area, please please please check them out. They are a phenomenal collection of bohemian (or hobohemian as they call themselves), burlesque, vaudeville, old-timey, rockabilly, creepy band of awesomeness. Their show kicks off with the Indigo Girls Belly Dance Troupe and the show is a lovely/creepy mix of amazing music, complete with an accordian and horns section, a sword swallower, magic tricks, glitter, confetti, and dancing. The tone is Tim Burtonesque with a serious underlying funk-fun feeling. It's wonderful. And so perfect for fall and Halloween. I loved them.

I also am hoping to check out the book written by the manager/leader, Eddy Joe Cotton. He was a hobo for 10 years, hopping trains around the country. He kept 23 journals throughout the course of his travels and the book is his story. It is even endorsed with a quote on the cover by Dave Eggers, which makes me want to read it all the more. I'm thinking something along the lines of Dharma Bums, but for real, and thus more exciting. It is not available at my library, although I may borrow it from my friend Jenn if I don't cave and buy it. I think it will be an amazing read!

I hope you are enjoying the weather as much as I am. I'm feeling it in my bones and it feels fantastic. Carve a pumpkin, make some cider, go for a hike, but whatever you do, don't sit on your ass and let this season pass you by.

No comments: