9.01.2008

Go Commodores!

As of today I'm "technically" a Vanderbilt student. Not really, but kind of. I registered for a Figure Drawing class today that will be every Wednesday from 6-8. I'm really excited about it! Turns out Vandy has a ton of art classes open to students, profs as well as the public. And the price was pretty cheap, $160 included registration and supplies so all I have to do now is show up.

I do have to say, it was strange being on their campus. Felt like a fish out of water. Lots of students all dolled up and looking preppy, but it was still reminisce of Kutztown's campus. I guess most campuses have that feel to them.

In other news, I thought I'd make a list of my favorite things that the South has to offer to combat the recent level of homesickness. I love:

• my church and all of my many Nashville grandmothers that go there. They are all so friendly and welcoming.
• random friendliness and the ability to ask almost any random person a question and they will almost always answer it with a smile and also ask how your day is going
• cheese grits (they are surprisingly delicious and even more surprisingly easy to make)
• sweet tea
• pretty much all other southern comfort foods including: fried chicken, collard greens, fried okra, meatloaf, macaroni & cheese, just about any vegetable casserole. biscuits.
• short winter and a long spring, and even though fall won't be brisk and cold, i think i'll like being able to go out hiking longer
• barbecue
• the pace is not as crazy (which on occasion is annoying, but not usually)
• the use of y'all (it's growing on me)
• i really enjoy the accent
• did i mention how friendly everyone is down here?

I hope everyone's been enjoying the long weekend!

No comments: