5.31.2007

Chef's Best... Marshmallows?

I was enjoying one of my favorite snacks tonight, marshmallows with peanut butter (not to be confused with the infamous Fluffernutter sandwich, which is quite enjoyable in and of itself). Whilst enjoying this culinary wonderment of sugar-peanutty goodness, I noticed a logo on the package. (I notice these things, being a designer). Now, keep in mind, the only marshmallows I buy are Kraft Jet-Puffed. They're tasty and I like the bright colors and marshmallow-y type on the bag. Anywho, I noticed a "Chef'sBest" logo on the front of the package. Supposedly this "ChefsBest" crew goes around judging the best-tasting foods among leading competitors. They even get certified as Master Tasters.

What I want to know, is who are Kraft Jet-Puffed Marshmallows leading competitors?? Really. I honestly can't think of another brand. I mean, how does this competition go? "Ladies and Gentlemen, up next we've got the ever delicious Kroger brand marshmallow followed closely by the occasionally-stale Weis brand marshmallow." Let's get real here. Has anybody else noticed other marshmallow brands beside Kraft and generic brands? WHO is the competition here? Is it really fair to say they are the best among leading competitors when there really isn't any competition? Or at least any serious competition? It's not like paper towels where you have Bounty, Brawny, Scott and the hands-down best Viva by Kleenex brand (when it comes to quality anyway.. taste I'm not so sure). That would be real competition and a winner would be fully deserving of the title. But marshmallows?? Hmm. At any rate, I could REALLY go for some S'mores right about now..

Also. How cool would it be to say you are a "Master Taster." Seriously. That would be AWESOME. I definitely picked the wrong field. Definitely. "No. MY mom's meatloaf is better. I should know. I am a MASTER TASTER after all." I'd say that title commands some respect, don't you?

P.S. Somebody actually posted rules for Chubby Bunny??

No comments: