10.12.2007

AIGA NEXT in Denver!





Hey kids. So I got in to Denver last night. Headed over to the conference and got a ton of free crap, free food and drinks. Good times. I ran into Nate Voss from B A Design Group (he spoke at ThinkTank Nashville). He's a cool dude. There was an after party at the Hyatt Grand (not to be confused with the regular Hyatt). I met a random group of designers from CA that drove to Denver in an RV (very cool). Met up with Nate again and met some kick-ass design students from Chicago. There was a dance-off (which is pretty funny when in a group of total design nerds). I've met a whole mess of people, most of who's names I've immediately forgotten, but I rememer the faces. The speakers today were pretty good. Got to listen to the guy in charge of Starbuck's Design Department. Very informative. Also got to listen to Michael Beirut and Armin Vit (among others) speak about the future of Design Writing. Also quite informative. Marian Bantjes spoke. And if any of you KU kids remember a fella by the name of Ryan Smoker, he was involved in this little reality show/Design-Off called Command-X that was way cool. They had to re-design the packaging for Jimmy Dean Pancakes & Sausage on a Stick. Anyway I talked to him for 5 minutes and exchanged cards. GO KU!

The theme of the NEXT conference is, of course, what is "next" in the world of design which also makes me think of what's next in my career. Will I take on new freelance? Do some volunteer design? Learn some new skills? Come up with new ideas to move forward at Emma? Speaking of which, Emma's a freaking awesome company. I know you're all sick of me saying it, but it is. And just about everyone I've talked to hear has heard of us, used our service, or know someone who has. Makes me happy!

Sorry this post is disjointed and random. Despite the great time I'm having, I've also got a nasty cold. Not fun my friends.

I hope to take and post more pictures soon! Be safe, Be happy, Be healthy, Be nerdy!

No comments: