2.04.2008

O is for Opportunity

I may have landed myself an exciting freelance opportunity doing some print work for a research company. I've worked with them before with emma doing their email stuff and they're a really a fun bunch. So far things are looking really good. I made a pricing offer and they want me to call tomorrow to discuss ideas/direction/next steps. I don't really know how much I'll get to do for them, but I've been looking up their company and a new medical marketing research branch they've just started and am REALLY hoping for some big fun.

I forgot how much I love advertising and coming up with concepts and ideas. My sophomore, junior and part of senior years at KU I LOVED advertising design and was convinced that is what I would do post-graduation. And while I got to do a smidge at my last job, for the most part every idea was shot down and all hopes of creativity were stifled by a not-so-wonderful boss (even ideas that the client really loved, my boss would still shoot down, with me at the table, in front of the client, for an idea he would come up with that looked like crap). I digress. Just sitting at Borders tonight with a stack of design and advertising books and a whole bunch of regular magazines for research purposes, I just went nuts with ideas. Sigh. It felt really good. I mean, don't get me wrong, I LOVE what I'm doing now. Absolutely 110% love working with my clients and the fast-paced creative freedom my job allows, but the idea of getting back into print via freelance, and dipping my feet back into the advertising pool is really exciting.

I try not to get my hopes up too high when things like this come around, but I just can't help it. My hopes are hovering somewhere over Mars and I have no intentions of reigning them in.

Anywho, wish my loads of luck! I'm going to go work on a Valentine's Day custom campaign for work. I'm just chock-full of creativity and need to let some of it out. I feel like I've got a second wind tonight. Time to bust out the Wacom!

P.S. To all you kids in areas where Primaries are tomorrow: GO VOTE!

No comments: